Oklahoma State University’s art collection has expanded thanks to Dr. James B. Wise’s donation of more than 60 works of art now on display at the Gardiner Art Gallery in the Bartlett Center for the Visual Arts through Aug. 8.
Wise, a 1957 OSU chemistry graduate, donated the prints and paintings to the Gardiner Permanent Collection of the Department of Art at OSU in June. His donation includes artwork by Native American artists such as Johnny Hawk, Bert Seabourn and DocTate Nevaquaya.
Wise, an ophthalmologist living in Oklahoma City, bought the collection from a Native American art collector in Midwest City.
Wise has been a loyal supporter of OSU, giving more than $150,000 to various areas of the university including arts, sciences, education, engineering, agriculture and the library.
The art department’s permanent collection began with graphic prints by the late Doel Reed, founder of the art department, and has grown to include more than 1,200 pieces by national and international artists.
A portion of the collection is always on display throughout the OSU campus, including the president’s house. The collection also serves a valuable tool art history students and faculty use for research and instruction.