Tulsa Convention Center received a 2009 Facilities & Destinations Prime Site Award.
The award is given annually to the top convention and exposition centers by Facilities Media Group, publishers of Facilities & Destinations magazine.
The Convention Center last won the award in 2007.
Tulsa Convention Center continues construction on a 30,000-SF ballroom and renovation in the existing facility, scheduled for completion January 2010.
Highlights from completed and future construction include:
- Glass walls installed in ballroom.
- Air conditioning turned on in the ballroom, allowing crews to start finishes.
- Elevator installation to begin mid-July.
- Wood ceilings to be installed in pre-function area mid-July.
- Wavy metal ceiling in ballroom to be installed mid-August.
- Arena renovation nearly complete.
- New scoreboards to be installed late September.
The center currently houses a 102,600-SF exhibit hall, 8,900-seat arena, 20,000-SF conference hall, 7,700-SF assembly hall with built-in stage and 16 additional meeting rooms—all open during the construction.
Both the Tulsa Convention Center and BOK Center are managed by SMG.